Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Cultural Awareness in Games

There were a lot of wonderful things that came out of the 90s. TGIF, slap bracelets, Ninja Turtles, Saturday morning programming that was actually good, Goosebumps books, and more. There were also some pretty awful and unusual things that came out of the 90s, and some things that just made you think to yourself "What the ****?"

One thing that amuses me about 32X game covers (and others as well) is how half of the cover art content focused on the technology of the game and cart itself. The number of colors, size of the cart (24 MEGS!), and all kinds of irrelevant information would be displayed, and the game usually ended up being pretty awful. When I got my copy of 36 Holes (who came up with that title) I started looking over the box and saw the line. The line:

Choose men or women players.

Groundbreaking technology, indeed. Ah, how I miss 90s ignorance. Simpler times indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment