Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Playstation 3D TV: The Next GXTV?

For those of us who grew up in the 90s the GXTV was the proverbial unicorn. Imagine a 13" TV, the perfect size for your bedroom, with plenty of composite connectors for your game systems, and several huge speakers for really enjoying your games (and the speakers folded in to save space). Made by Samsung this was THE TV to own.

It was a dream, it was real, it was perfect, and it was a 13" TV for $300. No one wanted it, especially parents in the 1990s, and thus it fell into obscurity. I remember seeing one of these TVs in Best Buy (when Best Buy first opened) and thought to myself that it was an amazing idea, but unrealistic given the cost relative to other TVs. I came across a used GXTV on Craigslist and picked it up for a friend, but regret doing that since I haven't been able to find one since. They are elusive, beautiful, ugly, smart, and dumb at the same time. One day I will own one, but I digress. The new GXTV is Sony's own Playstation 3D gaming monitor.

Imagine this: a 24" 3D monitor, made by Sony, with 2 HDMI inputs, 3D output, and simulview technology so that you and your friends can play on the same screen with different glasses and see two different pictures. Now imagine this: a $500 24" monitor, plagued with reliability issues, with no built-in tuner, no included remote, an overly glossy screen, and a limited library of games that support the technologies it's selling itself on. Sound familiar? For some reason I love to gravitate towards huge mistakes (32X, anyone?), so this TV was a no brainer to me. I picked this up for $180, which got me the TV, a copy of MotorStorm, a pair 3D glasses, an HDMI cable, and a four-year extended warranty (which I'll probably need). So far it's been working beautifully, looks great, and seems like a smart idea. I have no idea what the future will hold for this, but it's bound to be a legend (for good reasons or for bad ones).

No comments:

Post a Comment