Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Sega CD Reborn

With the Sega CD finally home it was time to unbox the beast and get it back on the Genesis. I forgot how badly the contacts between the Genesis and the Sega CD got dirty, so out came the alcohol and things got pretty clean. Sega themselves recommended using a pencil eraser, but I think that alcohol is a better/less abrasive solution. I've been thinking of using DeOxit, but that's something to pursue further down the line. I also need to figure out how to clean inside of the cartridge slots, which should benefit the Genesis on top and the Sega CD on the side. For now they are connected back together like it's 1995 all over again.

There are two additional purchases displayed in this photo. The first, a Sega multitap, can be had super cheap on eBay (around $10) brand new, and while I don't anticipate doing any kind of 4-player gaming on this system I really just wanted to add to the excessiveness that is this combination. The other purchase, the Sega CD base extender, is getting to be really hard to come by. Available by phone order back in the day, this piece of plastic goes on the end of the Sega CD base to make it longer so that it goes all the way under the Genesis Model 1. Given that the model 1 is the better model of Genesis to own (not my non-HD, VA7 motherboard model) I think this is a must have for most Sega collectors. There is some serious price gouging going on on eBay right now for this, with prices ranging from $15 (reasonable) to $30 (pretty bad) to even $50 (just awful). I found mine from a comic book store in Florida for $9 shipped (yes, shipped) in pretty decent condition. Ultimately I'd love to get this in NOS condition, along with a Sega CD memory cart, some 6-button controllers, and new power bricks, but so far I am in love all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment