Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Shelving Redux: Part 1

After picking up several different IKEA Hemnes bookcases I wasn't really happy with the fit and finish of the units. Even after putting them together properly I had issue with the backing being folded to save space. Once you nail the back (yes, nail) onto the bookcase you see this seam run down the middle of the whole bookcase, which is distracting and really annoying to me. I was about to give up until I saw that the Hemnes came in a half-width model. In addition to the back not being folded in the packaging the fit and finish was much better, the shelves can handle more weight thanks to their width (or lack thereof), and the whole thing can be organized better thanks to its "cube" style of organization. I had to pick up two of these, plus lights and cables, which ended up being substantially more expensive than a single Hemnes, but the end result is much nicer than a single IKEA Hemnes or Billy (which is made with particleboard). Part 2 will show off two of the bookcases together, along with some fancy lighting to set the whole thing off. This will be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment