Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Epic Mickey for Epic Cheap

You know, for a while I really wrote off the Wii as a piece of crap. For a system released in the year 2006 it didn't play DVDs, didn't really have good internet capability, required you to enter a crazy long serial number to game with your friends, etc. I went as far as selling off most of my Wii collection (with incredible regret now) and almost sold the Wii itself until it was only worth about $35. Titles like Epic Mickey made me feel this way and made me change my mind.

Nintendo is known for first-party games and childrens games. When I saw Epic Mickey released I wrote it off as another kid-friendly game that I had no business playing. After reading the reviews and playing it for myself I can see this being a real classic. To put it in so many words, this is a Mickey game that has a much darker than usual spin on the cartoon/series. I've always been a huge fan of dark takes on otherwise lighthearted series or series geared towards children (Batman Beyond, especially). While many people will recognize this as a clever, mature, and valuable take on the franchise I have no doubt that many will write it off as well; regardless, I can really see this being the next Castle of Illusion. Disney had some real magic back in their hayday, and I think that's what made Castle of Illusion so successful. Now I'm not saying Epic Mickey was a total dud, but being lumped in with all of the other childrens games couldn't have helped it much. Regardless, I picked up this bad boy for $7.99 less my Reward Zone certificates, making this pennies on the dollar. Well bought for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment