Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Rage of the Primal Variety

Back in 1995 I used to frequent an arcade in Houston's Memorial City Mall known as Exhilarama. Exhilarama was an arcade like no other arcade you could imagine; incredibly expansive, this arcade had every type of beat-em-up game, fighting game, rides, a separate section for adult games (I'll NEVER know what was in there), and some insane prizes. I remember seeing a Sega Master system offered as one of the prizes and wondered what on Earth it was given that the current offering at the time was the Sega Genesis. My sister and I did the math back then and estimated that it would cost the same to purchase the console outright as it would to earn the required tickets, but one can't argue that playing for the console would be way more fun.

I remember seeing Primal Rage in the arcades and thinking how GOOD the graphics were. The whole game itself was prolific--I mean, you're fighting with gigantic dinosaurs here, people. The 32X and Genesis ports were a bit disappointing (to say the least) and the stop-motion animation didn't really translate well to the console. Getting the 32X release of this game, let alone in decent shape, runs upwards of $40. I was able to snipe this for a paltry $8, complete with the box and manual. Now to master those stupid farting and urinating combos...

No comments:

Post a Comment